Saturday, September 26, 2009

A TRANSITION TO VEGAN COOKING

Well, to start off, my cooking techniques have been strange through the years, so changing my ingredients in cooking to Vegan isn’t a big deal to me. It just adds more interest to my already unusual cuisine habits.

I was a health food nut in the 60s, teaching my little ones that yogurt was ice cream, giving them Tiger Milk Bars instead of Snickers, and sneaking chopped carrots into foods where they didn’t belong. It all went great until they started school, then their little friends had to go and spoil all my training. They loved the food I fixed because they didn’t know any better, but were too embarrassed to eat it in front of their peers, so eventually I succumbed to a semi-American diet, at least for their lunches. Their friends would complain when coming to our house that there was nothing good to eat. What is tofu? Why isn’t there any candy or good cereal? This mama was not of your normal American variety. So it isn’t a big deal for me to change to a diet different from what the average American would eat.

On my attempt to become a Vegan cook, I had to do it gradually. Some can jump into it all at once, but I have friends who had to accept me to be even more unconventional than I already was, so it has taken me a little longer than most. And you have to admit that being a Vegan is in the lower percentile of the American population, so it isn’t too popular for those who love eating flesh. I had to take baby steps. Now, in preparing meals, I have been adding vegetables and fruit into anything I cook or bake. I try to do it as discretely as possible, especially when serving my husband, and guests. It is a joke now as to whether I have put tofu into anything they are eating. They are always wondering what the ingredients are in my dishes. And sadly, I have yet to convince anyone that comes over for dinner to come around to the Vegan lifestyle. At least it hasn't stopped people from coming over for dinner. :)

I find baking is the easiest transition. I have always used applesauce, etc. for egg replacement since I have high cholesterol. And anytime the recipe asks for milk, I just use soy or rice milk. I have always used oil instead of butter, and in the past, most of my ingredients have had no animal products. Now there are so many books out with vegan recipes that it is quite simple to serve cookies, breads, cakes, and pies that are vegan.

The hardest part for me is changing my taste buds. I have never really been a vegetable/fruit lover. I forced myself to eat that part of the meal, so I would add creamy sauces and cheese to vegetables to make it more appetizing. I guess cheese was the hardest for me to give up. I have now, however, developed a taste for Vegan Cheese and I love it. At first I didn’t like the texture but now I have grown ‘accustomed to her taste’. It is like a delicacy to me. I have also never been a big fruit eater. These days I realize how many different apples there are to choose from. I am now a connoisseur of the apple. It is the same with tofu. I used to buy tofu already prepared in dishes as I didn’t really know how to cook it to my liking. But with all the help from my vegan friends on Twitter and Facebook, I have acquired some fantastic recipes. Tempeh is another food I had never tried. Now I am a convert. I can honestly say that meat is the farthest thing from my mind when I am hungry.

There are a lot of cookbooks out there on Amazon.com. I use primarily vegetarian cook books and just substitute animal ingredients for the vegan ones. To anyone just starting out with the vegan diet, spend a lot of time in the kitchen. You have to. This way of eating takes more time then the quick fix foods or a Big Mac. You need to wash and cut your food. So just turn on the TV or radio, have your computer handy for conversation while the oven is on, and start cooking with purpose. I am lucky as my kids are not living at home, so that makes it easy for me. I only have a husband to contend with and he seems to be coming around just a little into thinking it ain't such a bad idea. And besides, he doesn’t cook so I have an advantage here.

To a Veganite, the more raw the food the better. I still have to cook my food….as I said, little steps. I am also not much of a juicer, I like the crunch and sensation of a pear, and apple or a carrot. In time I hope to acquire more of a taste bud for the raw, but in the meantime I have accomplished a great deal on my road to vegan cooking. Each of us must find our own personal way to incorporate this new passion and make it fit your lifestyle without impediments.

To be continued….

Here are some of my favorite Vegan Recipe materials:


Vegetarian Times
Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm
Great Chefs Cook Vegan by Linda Long
Simply Delicious Vegetarian by Carla Bardi
Vegetarian Cooking & Vegetable Classics by Roz Denny and Christine Ingram
100 Great recipes Vegetarian by Vicki Smallwood
Homestyle Vegetarian by Bay Books
Vegan Cupcakes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer
Tweeters:
happyherbivore and chic_vegan

12 comments:

  1. I'm vegetarian, not vegan. But I find that nuts and nut pastes are a great way to add creaminess to dairy free dishes (especially sauces)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... Thanks for the mention! I really enjoyed your story. If you are interested I have more recipes on my site(www.chicvegan.com)in the "food" category. There are also tons of links to vegan food oriented blogs on the "resources" page. Thanks and the best of luck on your vegan journey! It's lots of fun!
    -Mandi (@chicvegan)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw thanks for linlking my twitter. I also have a lot of FAQ that help with veganism cooking, transition and other on happyherbivore.com and on examiner.com -- links can be found on happyherbivore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff! I'm glad you like the tempeh... smoky tempeh strips are very tasty, when you're craving something smoky and maybe want to crumble it into a salad. We're working on it here, and you hit the nail on the head when you say you have to cook. Being vegan means preparing almost all of your own meals, which means spending a lot of time in the kitchen. There are days when I dread that, because of the kid-distractions and the mess left for me from their "snacks." But once I get going, which is about 50% of the time, I get back into my stride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meantime, there are some fruits and veggies in my fridge and counter that need some attention...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying hearing about your new vegan adventure, Diane! But, I would say that even those who can't cook or don't like to cook can still be vegan. There is nothing wrong with spaghetti sauce from a jar, soup from a box, frozen veggie burgers, canned beans, etc, etc. I have to admit that I use those foods all the time. Fresh food is always best, of course, but I want people to know that anyone can be vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right Ginny, and I don't want to dissuade anyone. I just think with all the hidden ingredients, we have to be careful, and I find fixing my own, I know what is in everything. Thanks for keeping me legit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane...I became a vegan this past June after being a vegetarian for 22 years. I also understand the struggles of convincing others to become veg; my husband is a meat eater but has recently been doing meatless mondays. I am blessed to live close enough to stores that offer plenty of options for me as a vegan. I also have a strong support group and most people tell me how proud and impressed they are of me. I tell them that I can't imagine any other way. I am not preachy, but if they ask me about my reasons I gladly explain. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane...love your blog, and your process of going vegan sounds so familiar! Yay for you! I've been going vegan for about 2 years, was 95% vegan before that - took me almost 40 years to get to that point. Had to laugh at the bit about the kids and their friends saying there wasn't anything to eat at your house. Me too! My husband also is a non-cook and grateful to be fed. Check out my veggie advice blog - it's quite amazing (and touching) the letters I get!
    http://savvyvegetarianadvice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, love reading all your advice. I will come to you with questions as you seem pretty knowledgeable on the world of vegan :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, i have found your blog from the link on Volentia. I too am just starting out on the vegan journey, and have started a blog on the topic, I hope to keep in contact, as many of your issues are pertinent to what I am experiencing. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks Michael! It's not such an easy road for me, but it feels right.

    ReplyDelete